8 July 2011 - Save the Children New Zealand launches urgent appeal for East Africa
As millions face the threat of starvation in East Africa, Save the Children New Zealand has today launched an urgent appeal to raise funds for this crisis.
Peter Gitau, a Kenyan now living in New Zealand said the crisis meant that in his home country up to three million people were facing imminent starvation.
“If New Zealanders can help, I can guarantee New Zealanders that funds sent to Kenya really will save lives.
“The drought is particularly hard on mothers and children who so often seem to bear the brunt of these disasters.”
Peter Gitau who has worked in Kenya as a Save the Children volunteer, and who as a child was sponsored by New Zealanders through Save the Children, said the work being undertaken by the organisation was hugely important.
“New Zealand has a very special relationship with Kenya and I hope that Kiwis who can help will,” he said.
“I have been told by people working in Kenya that many children a week are dying because of this drought. The need for help is truly urgent.”
Save the Children New Zealand CEO LIZ Gibbs said the organisation was launching an urgent appeal to raise $250,000.
“So far thanks to the generosity of Kiwis we have already been able to put $25,000 into a fund to send to East Africa,” Liz Gibbs said.
“Save the Children is already working on the ground in Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia to deliver water, food grants and health care.
“We are delivering emergency aid, but also working on long-term solutions to help the area,” Liz Gibbs said.
Save the Children's response:
- We are distributing life-saving water to areas severely affected by the drought and improving water supply and sanitation facilities in health clinics and schools.
- We are providing jerry cans, water filters and water purification tablets to ensure that water is safe to drink.
- We are treating tens of thousands of malnourished children and pregnant and breastfeeding women at our emergency feeding centres.
- We are helping families afford nutritious food by distributing food vouchers, whilst supporting the local market to function.
- We are supporting people who have lost their incomes through cash transfers, enabling them to buy essential items for their children.
How you can help:
- $9 pays for enough water purification tablets to provide clean, safe water to a family of six for a month.
- $28 pays for mosquito nets to keep ten malnourished children safe from disease.
- $153 feeds a family of six for a month.
- $1,900 equips a mobile unit to help 600 children in need of food.
Donate to this urgent appeal online or phone 0800 167 168
Contact: Vikki Carter 029 770 7928
Save the Children representatives in East Africa are available for media interviews on request.